Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. (Albert Einstein)

Friday, January 2, 2015

Simple Workaround Tip for Malfunction Toshiba USB Mouse

Toshiba U20 USB mouse uses only 4 wires. While Logitech uses 5 wires.
In some hardware circumstances (laptop in my case), the Toshiba mouse won't work, it's not detected, keeps blinking and the cursor doesn't move.
This is a simple workaround I tried successfully.

 Several weeks ago my old Logitech USB mouse starting to have problem with its left button. It had been in duty for years, so it's time for her to retire gracefully =)
I estimated the mouse's left button had been clicked for million times. In electronic circuit this problem with the mouse's micro-switch is known as bouncing.


So, I bought a brand new original Toshiba U20 USB mouse.
It's plug and play for sure, but very surprising it simply did not work! The LED kept blinking and the cursor wouldn't move.

These are the same problems I found on Google search-engine,
1. fixya.com/support/t24657767-laptop_not_detech_toshiba_usb_optical
2. forums.toshiba.com/t5/Keyboards-Touchpads/Toshiba-Usb-Optical-Mouse-U20-Blue-LED-Problem/td-p/352230


I opened the mouse cover, and I saw this Toshiba mouse has only 4 wires! (Logitech uses 5 wires USB cable). Using multimeter I tested all the connectivity and functionality of wires and components, all are good.
So, with only 4 wires, there is no wire to connect outer ground (metal shield).
(Note: There is still no universal standard yet about this shield pin.)
Standard for USB 1.x/2.0 Type A only mentions 4 pinouts,
1. Vbus (red) +5V.
2. D- (white or gold), Data-.
3. D+ (green), Data+.
4. GND (black or blue), ground.

But Logitech uses 5 wires! My "garbage collector" mentality soon forced me to replace the Toshiba's cable.
With the help of a small solder and desoldering-pump I removed the original cables of both (new) Toshiba's to be replaced by (unused) Logitech's. Again, recycling =)


Now the Toshiba mouse's has its shield connected to my laptop ground.
Guess what? It works!
Mouse is detected, LED is no more blinking, and the cursor moves smoothly.


Wondering. Toshiba, a world class company, bets its reputation to save one penny wire =)
---